With the arrival of our daughter Fynn, I can now compare what we thought would happen, to how things actually went.
The office/bunk room did become the baby room
1. The desk is a great ready-made change table -true!!
2. It is easier to turn the bunk into a crib with a lee cloth than the aft stateroom bed – we found a pre made lee cloth on Defender, which we will use when Fynn is older
3. It is the smaller room, leaving us with more space and the potential to have guests on board (assuming they still want to sleep on board….) - this room has really become a storage room…. But just while we work on all our new boat projects.
However, the soon to be baby den requires some small changes:
1. We are going to remove the top bunk for now. This just gives more space to maneuver in the room -done, this worked great!
2. We will also have to take out our office stuff…. Well the printer can stay, but the stuff in the rawers will have to find another home. This includes our files, so we will have to come up with some new storage places. We have plenty of empty storage place, so it is only a matter of thinking, planning and reorganizing. Given that baby will grow into small person, future small person deserves his or her own space! -Turns out the printer died last week, so now it is just a baby room!
3. Babies need to sleep on a firm surface, so the bottom bunk mattress may need an upgrade to a firmer mattress -decided it was fine and left it as is.
We definitely don’t have room for a bassinet in our room. Well technically a small one would probably fit, but that would leave us without any room to walk. Current ideas for co sleeping at the beginning include a basket or box on the table in our room, or maybe a drawer. Clearly not completely sorted out yet – we found something called a Travel Bassinent- a small bed that you can pack up and take with you. There are several to choose from, but the winner was The Nest by Phil and Teds, mainly for it’s travel ready bag.
3) Where to put the nursing chair?
4) High chairs, baby proofing and other stuff.
The high chair was an easy one; ages ago we met a couple with their baby on board and they were using a high chair that clamped onto the table – Our favourite was the Chicco 360 Clamp on High Chair, because is is oneo of the only ones that will swivel. Perfect! We don’t have this yet, but it is still the plan.